Monday, June 13, 2011

for the ones i love.

sweet

I have spent minutes, hours in front of the mirror scrutinizing my own appearance. It wasn't always this way. I was raised to believe that I am beautiful, even if, especially if, I don't fit into a definable category. Somewhere along the way, I lost that mentality.

I remember the day I realized my teeth weren't perfectly straight. Honestly, I felt self-conscious right away, wondering how many people had noticed before I had. In reality, it's unlikely that any of the important people in my life based my value on the appearance of my teeth. I was fortunate enough not to need braces as a child -- a fact that should be celebrated, not dwelled upon.

My favorite Hollywood icon of all time is Audrey Hepburn. She is beautiful, but I was never drawn to her because of her physical appearance. She lived her life in a way that made her admirable. Her soul was beautiful. That, in turn, made her beautiful. It was her spirit that changed the world.

To me, beauty is kindness. Showing humility and open-mindedness to the people with which I am lucky enough to share this beautiful planet. I have never judged someone, or befriended someone based on an outward appearance. It has been a person's spirit and generosity that draws me toward him or her. I can't imagine living in a world where everyone looked and acted the same. In a world where friendships were based on the superficiality of physical looks.

I was blessed to be given this vessel -- a vessel that allows me to share kindness and compassion with the people I am fortunate enough to meet and get to know. And how fortunate I also am to look completely different from anyone I know. How fortunate I am to have a slightly crooked smile that reminds me that I am human and that I am unique -- an individual.

It is when people truly open up and show me their personalities that I find myself most intrigued. It is when people share with me personal stories that I find myself drawn to them. I have never begun a friendship because of the way someone looked. It is true, though, that all of my friends and family are beautiful.

It's good to be back. xo, R.

via

9 comments:

kylee said...

way to come back with a bang. wow that was amazing. so beautifully written. you my dear, are definitely beautiful.

Destini Lea said...

This was beautiful and honest and true. I am the same, I never had braces and was sometimes a little self-conscious about my ever so slightly crooked teeth. But I thought about Jewel and Kirsten Dunst and Katherine Heigl, all women who had beautifully crooked teeth, and I think it makes you more interesting to look at. :) Welcome back, keep writing :)

LW said...

And so are you, inside and out. Nice post, sweet pea. Love you. XXXOOO

Jamie @ charmingly ordinary said...

Thanks for being so REAL! Glad you are back. xo

Alex Byer said...

This is probably one of my favorite posts thus far. Beauty is so much more than looks. Typical beauty does nothing for me. It's the truly beautiful, inside and out, who really shine.

LW said...

Love you.

Ed Woltil said...

I love your teeth, whether or not they line up obediently or "fit all the cultural norms" as one of our favorite lyricists might put it...along with your EYEBROWS, and every freckle...wouldn't change a thing, perfection! Love you...thanks for the nice post :)

Laura said...

I really appreciated this post! It was extremely honest but also obviously came from a highly genuine place. I'm glad to see you back and to be fortunate enough to read these wonderful words of yours!

Sarah said...

Ugh I love this so much. You are one of the most beautiful girls I know, Roxanne!! I have crazy teeth, and my siblings used to make fun of me growing up. I'm still not completely comfortable with them, but sometimes my crooked smile catches me by surprise and I love it :)