Monday, April 12, 2010

homemade croutons.

salad
My Grammy was an amazing woman and she was very talented in the kitchen. The other night I was craving croutons, but didn't have any on hand. Then I remembered my Grammy's crouton recipe and I whipped up a batch. Now, believe me when I say that this recipe actually lends itself much better to stale bread. However, I didn't have any stale bread on hand and my croutons still turned out wonderfully.
sizzlin'
crouton love
Directions:
• Place a skillet on medium heat and lightly coat bottom with olive oil. Add 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic to the pan. (You may need more or less garlic depending on the amount of croutons you're making.)
• Lightly butter a piece of bread on both sides. Earth Balance will work fantastically for this.
• Dust bread with Garlic salt, salt+pepper.
• Chop bread into crouton size pieces and place pieces into pan.
• Allow the croutons to sizzle in pan until golden brown (about 3 minutes), but keep a close eye on them because they'll burn in a second.
• Flip and repeat process until desired color is achieved.
• Use immediately & enjoy!
*Jeffrey and I used two pieces of bread because we're crouton lovers, but you'll be able to tell how much you need once you start chopping the bread.

xo, R.

4 comments:

Cafe Fashionista said...

As a child I ate croutons the way some people eat chips - by the handful, straight from the bag/box. They are SO incredibly delicious. I may just have to attempt to make a batch of my own!! :)

Christina said...

Wow. This is really great and will be used this week for sure!

I love croutons! I love dipping them in soup too.

xoxoKrysten said...

You're making me want to call my mom to ask her for some of her homemade croutons, hehe.

Iva said...

that looks delicious!