Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Quirk Project (No. 5)

Destini's Quirks
1. Pens are kind of a big deal to me. I get really excited over a good pen. And maybe I'm sort of picky sometimes when it comes to selecting a writing utensil. Like, if a pen is supposed to have a cap on it...then it needs to have the cap on it when I write with it. (This "logic" doesn't apply to clicky pens, of course). And if my choices are either a pen without a cap or nothing, then I won't turn it down. All I'm saying is, there's a nicer weight to a pen when the cap isn't missing.

2. I can't do roller-coasters. They gross me out. The flips, the tracks, the seat-belts or harnesses, the click-clicking to the top...yuck! I'm still trying to decide how I feel about the "exhilarating, stomach-dropping feeling", because I'm really only cool with that for a few seconds. All I know is that my palms start sweating and my heart starts racing from the moment I step into a kiddie-coaster line, and when I get locked in the seat, my panic is verging on heart attack status.

3. Every week when I watch American Idol, I get SO excited and get the urge to pick up any instrument, learn to play it and belt out my tunes! And I secretly always wish that my roommates will leave the apartment the next day, so that I can slide around in my socks, singing American Idol songs all day.

4. I can't drink coffee in the morning, I'm a nighttime drinker. I really enjoy getting coffee with friends, and I like the idea of waking up in the morning to a nice, big cup of coffee...however, when I'm really tired and up early in the morning (you know, when most people would turn to coffee, I steer clear), because I just end up feeling really sick. A few days ago, Alex, our friend Andrew and I woke up at 5 am to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge, hike into the woods and film a documentary. We started our morning off with coffee and about halfway through the trip, Andrew had to pull over on the side of this cliff-road, because I thought I was going to throw up. I never did, but the rest of the car ride was pretty nauseating.

5. When I'm watching tv, I prefer to go UP to the numbers, rather than come down to them. This quirk is really verging on OCD, but it's okay because it's probably the only OCD quality about me. If I want to change the channel or volume from 27 to 25 for example, I can't just go down two clicks.. I have to go 27, 26, 25, 24...and then back to 25. It's strange and I can't really explain it, but as a kid, I associated "going down" as being truly negative, so I adopted this odd little habit.

6. I am habitually disorganized. When I have a child, let's just hope that their father has some organization skills, because they will learn nothing from me. I am constantly trying to change my ways...constantly! I'm relying heavily on my planner this semester, so I'm making some strides... my desk however, that's a losing battle. I try, but that thing has yet to stay organized for longer than a week. It's a shame too, because I have a really cute glass desk from Ikea :)

7. I am SO shy. It's something I'm really trying to work on, but I think I'm getting shyer as I get older. It's funny because anyone who knows me would be like, "You, shy? YEAH RIIIIIGHT!" But it's true! I get really, really, reeeeally nervous every time I have to walk into a new classroom, give a presentation or call someone on the phone, or something. My career interests don't look kindly to shyness, since I'm in film school right now, looking to further myself in filmmaking, acting and music... so I'm REALLY trying to conquer the crippling shyness a-sap!

8. I say "Just Kidding" ALL the time! I don't know where it came from and I can't seem to shake it. Sometimes I'll notice it and try to correct it......with another "just kidding"!! Really? Reeally? I'll try and give you a mental picture. I don't know if you're familiar with Kristen Wiig's Saturday Night Live character, Judy Grimes... (but one of my favorite clips can be found here!) I'm not as bad as her... but almost.

Thanks for sharing, Destini! xo

This is the last installment of the Quirk Project I have received. If you're interested in submitting your quirks, please look here.

1 comment:

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Awesome - I have an odd fascination with pens too, hehe.