Friday, November 20, 2009

The Forgotten Holiday

It always seems that the moment after Halloween ends stores across the country feel the immediate need to break out the Christmas decorations. Black and orange is replaced by red and green, witch hats are replaced by Santa hats, and Halloween costumes are replaced by glowing Christmas trees. I love Christmas just as much as the next person - probably more - but it has always really bothered me (and my entire family and close friends) that every store (excluding Publix) seems to skip over Thanksgiving.

Here are some elements of Thanksgiving that I think make it particularly special, unique, and unlike any other Holiday.

1. Pumpkins. I always relish the fall months because there are so many different dishes that involve pumpkin. I check the Food Network website on an almost-daily basis and the amount of delicious recipes they have that include pumpkin is totally overwhelming, but I would gladly make every single one of them.

2. Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I remember many crisp November mornings that included this very special parade, my family's cozy living room, and my sister and I in our PJ's. There's something so special about seeing all the floats, coining every single one your new favorite, and watching all the elaborate performances. This nostalgic parade is one that I look forward to watching every single year.

3. Cranberry Sauce. What's funny about cranberry sauce is that you could really have it outside of Thanksgiving, but I know my family doesn't. This tart dish is reserved for Thanksgiving only and I wouldn't have it any other way.

4. A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. Who doesn't love Charlie Brown? Who doesn't love his adorable movies? Everyone knows you can only watch this seasonal film on its resident holiday. Without Thanksgiving there is no Thanksgiving-inspired Charlie Brown film.

5. Day-After-Thanksgiving Sales. I don't usually participate in this Thanksgiving event - too overwhelming for me - but I know many people who look forward to this special day. Heavily discounted clothes? Um, yes please.

6. Family. I recognize that family get-togethers can sometimes be stressful, tiring, overwhelming, and awkward. I think we all have those feelings, but I think it's also really important to remember how special family is. To me, Thanksgiving is really the holiday meant for celebrating family. Its roots come from compromise, acceptance, and humility. If nothing else, Thanksgiving should be regarded as a time to be thankful for your family and the unbreakable bond that comes with it. Set aside stress and anxiety and remember that it means a lot to be able to sit around a table with family members and share a meal. That is the true spirit of Thanksgiving.

xo


*images via flickr.

1 comment:

LW said...

I love Thanksgiving too. Such a simple holdiay that's all about giving thanks. And spending time with your family. I cannot wait until you get home.