Saturday, January 2, 2010

Parents

Have I ever bragged about my parents before? No? Okay, well allow me.

My parents are two of the most incredible people I know. They have been two of the biggest influences in my life.

I owe my whimsical childhood to them.
I owe my passion for life and for others to them.
I owe my loving of baking and cooking to them.
My love for reading.
My love for writing.
For Audrey Hepburn.
For Adrien Brody.
For rain and tea.
For lemonade and dancing through sprinklers.
For Wilco.

I owe it all to them. Throughout my life they have always been there for me. They have bought me treats, but taught me the value of a dollar. Have let me make my own decisions, but have been my voice of reason.
Have been my most precious friends.
My most treasured confidants.
My comfort.
My dream makers.
Promise keepers.
They have been all of that for me.
They taught me to eat my veggies and to savor my pie.
They have taught me to help others before myself.
That laughter is the best medicine.
They have taught me to keep my head up when the going gets tough.
To persevere.
To smile in the most trying of times.
To be thankful for every blessing and for every tribulation.


My parents have always served others before themselves.
They have given everything to make my life meaningful and special and memorable.
They have equipped me with faith and trust in humanity.
They have held my hand when I needed it and let go when I needed it.

They have whispered words of inspiration into my ear.
And allowed me to go my own way.
They have allowed me to be my own person. And they have always rooted for that person.
They have given me style and grace and courage.

Needless to say, I love my parents. I thank God everyday for blessing me with two built-in best friends. I didn't have to search beyond my own home to find two kindred spirits.

I hope that someday I can be the kind of parent that my parents have always been.

xo

2 comments:

LW said...

You,my dear, are an absolute pleasure to have as a daughter, a friend and a kindred spirit. I love you so much. XO

Anonymous said...

I've always only hoped to be the parent that you deserve -- love you always!